Internet is a fast changing world. When I joined the worrld of internet marketing, it was a speciality in itself. Everybody svae few geeks used to called themselves as internet marketer. The internet marketing has become a broad speciality in itself giving rise to many small niches.
Even the niches further have evolved into subniches. There are not only seach engine optimizers but they have evolved further into Google SEOs, Yahoo SEOs, Link Builders, Link Exchangeres, SEo content specialists etc.
They are all marketers but with different angles.
In this constantly changing world, as a marketer you have to be aware of what is happening around and how changes can affect you.
Earlier you gear towards the change better you would position yourself in coming years. In this context, a change also offers you a new opportunity.
One big change that is coming to world of search engines is BING.
Microsoft, which had been struggling to fight Google dominance was in news when it tried to grab Yahoo but failed
Following that it created Bing and On July 29, 2009, Microsoft and Yahoo! announced a deal in which Bing would power Yahoo! Search.
As of June 2009, search engine on the web by query volume are
- Google – 74%
- Yahoo! Search – 17%
- Bing – 9.4%
Recent data suggest that while Yahoo seems to loose its share, Bing is gaining.
There are further talks of Yahoo acquisition by Microsoft and that would make Bing the only other major player.
That means more people are using Bing for their search related activities and the proportion is about to rise in future.
That also means that if you optimize your site for Bing, you have more chances of dominating it.
While search engines are basically same, they do use different algorithms to rank the sites.
Plus, hardly anybody uses two search engines for the search. Most of people use Google and may not be aware of existence of others.
Similarly, many of those who use Bing/Yahoo! may not be aware of Google too.
Do not look at me like that.:-)
We generally assume that what we know is common knowledge and almost everybody knows it. It is not so. Many people are still not aware what is internet.
Most of those who use do not even use nano fraction of what you are doing. they mail, chat and do bit of search.
Each of us builds an online persona and continue to use sites which are comfortable to her.
Therefore it should not be as surprising that somebody does not know what Google is.
So it makes a case for increasing your reach too.
If you reach more people, more people would come to you.
How to build your website to perform better in Bing
First of all a clarification. I have not tested Bing for my site yet. What I am about to tell you has been shared by Rick DeJarnette of Bing Webmaster Center.
There is not much info on what does Bing want. It is good to listen to somebody from Bing saying what does Bing like and dislike.
On Link building
Search engines cannot help rely on links. It is the biggest drawback in my view because its disadvantage is that it forces people to focus on link building and many beautiful and informative sites go unnoticed because of too much link reliance.
But that is another discussion.
For now, let us concentrate on what Rick says
The webmasters who create end user value within their websites, based on the needs of people, are the ones who will see their page rank improve. So where does that value come from? Content. Good, original, text-based content.
He further says
Content is king. Providing high-quality content on your pages is the single most important thing you can do to attract inbound links.
Your goal should be to focus on getting inbound links from relevant, high-quality sites that are authorities in your field.
Bing: What Not To Do
Your activities may be perceived as potentially conspiratorial and unnatural and warrant a closer review by search engine staff. These include
- The number of inbound links suddenly increases by orders of magnitude in a short period of time
- Many inbound links coming from irrelevant blog comments and/or from unrelated sites
- Using hidden links in your pages
- Receiving inbound links from paid link farms, link exchanges, or known “bad neighborhoods” on the Web
- Linking out to known web spam sites
Bing: How To Build Links
After don’ts come do. Here is what they advice
- Develop your site as a business brand and be consistent about that branding in your content
- Identify relevant industry experts, product reviewers, bloggers, and media people and let them know about your site and its content
- Write and publish concise, informative press releases online as developments warrant
- Publish expert articles to online article directories
- Participate in relevant blogs and forums and refer back to your site’s content when applicable
- Use social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to connect to industry influencers to establish contacts, some of whom may connect back to you (be sure you have your profiles set up with links back to your website first)
- Create an online newsletter on your site with e-mail subscription notifications
- Launch a blog or interactive user forum on your site
- Join and participate in relevant industry associations and especially in their online forums
- Ultimately, strive to become a trusted expert voice for your industry and let people know that your website contains your published wit and wisdom
Most of these advices are already known to internet marketers but it is always good to revise.
You can read the full article herre.